About Us

Rollaway Lanes was built in early 1946 and opened in August of that same year as a roller skating rink on the lower level. Then in January of 1947 the 8 lane bowling alley opened on the second floor. Harry Greene, Barney Smith, and Al Webb were the original owners and by 1955 Harry, having bought out his two partners, added his son Hugh to the business and his son Harold joined the company in 1969. The two sons bought Harry out at that time and by 1982 Hugh was the sole owner.


When bowling began the price was .35 cents a line or 3 games for a dollar. It took 20 different pin boys a week to cover the lanes until 1957 when the first automatic pin spotters and foul lines were installed. Four additional lanes were added at that time as well. At that time bowling increased to .40 cents per game. By 1963 the skating rink had closed because of lack of interest.


Improvements were constantly being made through the years. Having been heated by coal (up to 8 tons a week during the cold winter months) since being built, the first gas furnace was installed in 1961 and air conditioning was added in 1962. New pin spotters were installed in 1972 and leased from AMF until being purchased for $116,000 in 1989. A lounge, locker room, and outside remodeling were done in the summer of 1973, with the liquor license being approved on Nov. 15, 1973.


Hugh Greene and his wife Pat were blessed with five children; Linda, Peggy, Keith, Diane and Tracy. Peggy, Diane, and Tracy are all still employed by Rollaway. Hugh always wanted a clean friendly atmosphere for his customers when they visited and he instilled this belief in his children and employees through the years. They take pride in the fact that customers comment on the cleanliness of the center and the fact that being a small business they can get to know everyone on a first name basis.